Monday, June 19, 2006

Deal or No Deal

When I approach those treatment crossroads I often feel like I am playing Deal or No Deal. The option of Cellcept, out there for a few months, sounded great--like Cyclosporine without the nasty long term side effects. But what lie behind the Cellcept curtain? To find out I would have to give up my current treatment. That was the deal: let go of one to grab hold of the other unknown but promising. After a few weeks I wish I hadn't let go at all. That's the nature of the game.

It doesn't have to be that way, though. Because my psoriasis is so severe and aggressive, I need to push for more transition time. If the next drug doesn't work then the consequences won't be so severe. Talking to my old derm for twelve years confirmed the strategy. (He also suggested trying methotrexate again since it's been a couple of years. Don't know if I'll take that deal!)

The last few days I've had a mild cold and low grade fever. Actually skipped a dose to see what my fever would do. My skin is still quite red everywhere from my chest down and my forehead up. Perhaps the cyclosporine is taking hold? I finally felt the flare subsiding some after four straight weeks of outbreak.